Seven ways to reduce waste
11 April 2018
There are many things the professional cleaning industry can do to help reduce waste. One that is getting particular attention right now is reducing plastic trash liner waste according to Kaivac.
1. Save the liner; most small trash can liners can be re-used as long as a week before they need replacement
2. Always use the right size liner for individual cans; use very large trash liners for trash collection
3. Install large trash containers for “wet” waste, like food, in central facility locations; wet liners should be changed daily, dry liners do not
4. Remove all individual trash cans; some organisations place three large trash cans in strategic areas throughout their facilities. One for wet trash; one for dry trash; and one for recyclables
5. Use vacuum-powered trash compactors. Similar to a food sealer, these systems suck the air out of trash liners, reducing the waste volume by as much as one-half
6. Eliminate all trash liners in all trash cans, large and small.
7. Find ways to re-use trash liners, for instance; used liners can be re-used to collect vegetation trimming